Student Spotlight - Jean-Luc Nahon
Jean-Luc Nahon is next in our Student Spotlight series!
1. When did you join the gym?
I joined mid-April and I have been coming ~5 days a week ever since.
2. What got you interested in boxing and what keeps you coming back?
I’ve always been into martial arts. I’ve done mainly Taekwondo (15 years) and I trained in French boxing (Savate) and Muay Thai a bit. Boxing has always been a fascinating discipline to me, and I finally decided to get into it a few months back.
I have a hard time with workout routines that don’t lead anywhere or don’t have a purpose (beyond the obvious health benefits). I am very competitive and I am a learner. I need to feel like I’m learning a skill, that I can compete with myself and with others, and that there is always something new to learn. I get all of that in boxing.
3. What's your favorite punch?
Tough question. These days, I am really focused on working my lead hook combos head/body. I am trying to develop my speed and footwork to make them really effective.
4. Which exercise makes you give Coach the stink eye?
It’s more an eye roll than a stink eye. I really don’t like twinkle toes. Not that it’s hard, but I think it just looks stupid :)
5. What are a few of your hobbies? I spend all of my free time with my family: my wife, our son, and our 3 pets (2 dogs and 1 cat). I am also a foodie who loves a good restaurant, good wine, and good company.
6. What's one thing that people might be surprised to know about you?
My wife is Korean-American and we’ve been together for 15+ years. I’ve picked up enough Korean to pretend to speak it (although I don’t, really); well at least enough to order food and surprise the waiter at any Korean restaurant :)